Otoplasty is the surgery that aims to correct deformities of the ears. There are 3 kinds of defects :
- Either a plication default and therefore no relief in cartilage due to the unfolding of the pinna.
- Either a cartilage hypertrophy or an exaggerated interior hollow of the ear that gives off this flag appearance.
- Either the existence between the ear pinna and an open angle’s skull that projects off the pinna.
- This surgery aims to terminate aesthetic discomfort and sometimes complex for some people.
Who is it addressed to ?
Suitable for both adults and children, ear surgery is usually performed on children from the age of 7 when the cartilage has reached sufficient growth.
The surgery is performed under local anesthesia associated with intravenous tranquilizers or sometimes under general anesthesia for restless children or highly sensitive people; otoplasty performed by Dr. Mohamed Guessous is a surgery that lasts around one hour.
So that the scar is not apparent, the incision is discreetly hidden behind the ear.
From this incision, the cartilage structures are modified with stitches:
- By folding the antihelix and proceeding to the reconstruction of the pinna’s relief.
- By reducing the volume of the pinna’s interior hollow, thus reducing cartilage hypertrophy.
- By closing of the open lying between the external ear and the skull’s angle.
As required, the ears may be modified in order to have adequate size or to make them symmetrical.
At the end of the intervention, a circular bandage is placed around the head for a period of 24 to 48 hours.
After surgery, the patient should take analgesics for at least 3 days to reduce pain and discomfort.
These discomforts disappear gradually, but it is still highly recommended to rest and avoid effort and team sports for at least a month.
Edema and some bruising may persist for several days, but the result can be quickly appreciated.
During the months following the surgery, a protective headband, like tennis headband should be worn at night, wearing this headband is strongly recommended to avoid turning the ear and feeling painful and unpleasant sensations.
Length of stay
Otoplasty is performed under local anesthesia; an outpatient or an overnight stay at the clinic is enough.